Wednesday 13 August 2014

Beauty Bank

...So I had taken off my weave and washed my hair and it was looking really good. 2 days into my natural hair showcase ceremony I got tired of having to comb my hair each time and without prior preparation i picked up the kinky wig I had bought several months ago to the nearest hair salon to braid my hair. Since it wasn't planned, I couldn't go to my usual salon because I didn't have an appointment and will have to wait several hours for my turn.


I found a salon about 500 metres away from my house which also specializes in braids. Fortunately for me there wasn't anybody there waiting in line except one lady there who was just styling her hair. I asked the lady in charge if my hair can be done for me. Her 'yes' quickly made me sink into her chair before she changed her mind about my braids since it was already past 2 pm. I had also heard one of her apprentices say that someone who was booked was yet to arrive (whoever that person might be better stays wherever she is cus I ain't giving up this seat!) Without being told I quickly let my hair loose from the band i had it held up in, the earlier they got on with this braids the better for all of us.

About 10 minutes into the braids I realized that in my haste, I had asked all the questions except the most important one which was, how much will cost me? I asked myself what difference it will make anyway since they had already began. Will I get up and leave if I can't afford it? Or will I let them loosen the braids if the the price was just outrageous. In the end I decided to ask anyway since this wasn't my usual hair braiding salon. In the most humble tone I asked the 'Madam' how much please? Her response shocked me! She said she will tell me once she is done. Ah! at this point, I became alarmed and i asked what will happen to me if i can't pay up at the end of it. She laughed hard and said that a beautiful lady like can afford to pay any amount at all...
"I see..." was all I could say...

Now the question is..What is the connection between being pretty and having money? Do pretty girls get allowances from being pretty? Or is the saying just a con artist's line when you are about to be duped? *taxi drivers say this a lot of times* #irun













No comments:

Post a Comment